Hannah's Memory Box

Hannah's Memory Box

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Welcome!!

Hi, Friends:
I am so excited to finally be on the web!! I will post writings here, add photos of my beloved dogs, and tell you what's happening in my world of writing.

I continue to work feverishly on my columns, 528 now written for the D.R. over ten years. The columns vary in subject, but always deal with issues of the heart. Since my readers have enjoyed those columns centered on animals, I will continue to write dog stories.

In fact, I am refining the outline and manuscript of my book "Hannah's Memory Box". I am also working on proposal ideas for magazine editors at the annual pet writer's workshop in Manhattan in February. Last year, I was honored to meet Mara Bovsun, who will be featuring my work in "AKC Gazette" this spring!!I can't wait to see my article in print in that national venue. I hope to connect with other editors, agents and publishers to further my writing career.

"Hannah's Memory Box" is a memoir about my dog, her therapy work, both inside and outside our home. I've been working for two years on its completion. When Hannah died last May, I compiled all her treasures in one box: her therapy tags, her collar, the sweaters she wore, the schedule of the places she worked as a therapy dog, the thank you notes we received, the certificates and diplomas she earned, the awards she won, the photos of her, even starring as Helen Keller's dog in "The Miracle Worker". The book is Hannah's story, sometimes inspirational and uplifting, other times heart wrenching.

I fell in love with dogs when I was a small child. I loved the way dogs love us so unconditionally. Hannah loved even more than most dogs. Not only did she minister to the aged in the nursing home and the small children in bite prevention workshops with the deputy dog warden, she helped my family endure the loss of my father and father-in-law. She helped my daughter survive the often rigorous treatments associated with late disseminated Lyme disease. She was an unfailing friend. At the end of her life, Hannah trained Hazel, her apprentice, as her last act of love. The book also centers on that new pup in our life .She is a crazy, furry girl who has brought much joy and levity to our household. I will add photos for you to see of that willful pup. I will also add photos of my daughter's dog in this blog.

I invite you to journey with me through my column excerpts, through the stories I tell about my dogs and the dogs from my life. I hope to entertain you, give you an escape, lend you a smile or sometimes cause a tear to fall.

Thank God for children's smiles and the devotion of our dogs.

Ear Scratches, Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment